so i figured i should probably give a little 411 about myself, it being a lazy sunday and all. so here's a little list of random things about yours truly:
1. i love dressing in all monochrome ensembles. black, white, grey, navy, and ivory dominate my closet and probably make the small percentage of color feel inadequate. if my closet had a theme song it would be colorblind by counting crows.
2. i love knee socks/tights. the knee sock obsession comes from my clueless obsessed days of living in pleated mini skirts and lace up oxfords (i think i was about 10 when this started). and the tights obsession started when i was abroad in london. suffice to say that any gam specific coverall is essential and smile inducing in my book.
3. favorite show: gilmore girls. while there may be a plethora of other shows i watch on a daily basis and love, the writer in me is somehow always amazed by the incredible banter between rory and loreli. and i would secretly love to move to stars hollow.
4. food obsession: anything mint/chocolate. mint chocolate chip ice cream, peppermint tea, mint bailey's in hot chocolate, chocolate mint tea, peppermint mochas, andes chocolates--you get the idea. i'm obsessed.
5. boots. i think this unhealthy worship began my junior year of high school after seeing the fall 2002 rtw michael kors lace up boots with scrunched cashmere socks. ergo why i now live in booties, over-the-knee boots, sandal-bootie hybrids, mid-calf gladiators, etc. there must be some kind of boot influence or i'm not interested.
6. autumn is my favorite season fashion wise (and weather wise--there's something about vibrant brick red trees that makes me giddy) but i love early winter as well. the first few pretty snow falls, the heavy fur lined coats and cashmere gloves, and--of course--christmas. its always been THE holiday in my house to celebrate hardcore--we take our christmas decorating and celebrating VERY seriously: including but not limited to real fraser fir trees, tons of twinkle lights, cozy fires, really good food and cheesy xmas movie marathons. i especially love the music: churchy and retro alike.
7. rainy weekend mornings: this is pretty self explanatory--i love sleeping in when the conditions are perfectly conducive... and when under my comforter is the quintessentially cozy temperature.
8. london: i studied abroad there in 2007 and have never loved a city so much in my entire life. the tube, the shopping, the accent--ugh, just talking about it is making me nostalgic.
9. singing. yes, i sing. i was put into my church choir at the age of 4 and the rest is history. i was a total thespian in high school and college but now i mainly stick to karaoke bars and small gatherings usually involving bottomless wine. typically i'm a norah jones rendition kinda girl. its the one activity in my life that never ceases to make me incandescently happy.
10. being crazy organized: i seriously think i'm borderline OCD due to the level of organization and list making that ensues on a regular basis (case in point). did i mention my closet is color coordinated? i suppose it keeps me sane and makes me feel like i have control on one aspect of my life even if everything else is going to hell in a hand basket. this is probably how my moleskine compulsion started.
i suppose that's enough for now... back to watching gilmore girls on soapnet and drinking mint tea-- damn i'm predictable. happy sunday.
my blazer-chains-shorts-watch-messy-hair combo inspired by one of yesterday's posts--thank god it wasn't as hot today or i would have never pulled off wearing this blazer without dying. also, i'm now obsessed with this watch. my grandfather was a chrysler dealer (i never knew him) and these watches were made for special clients so my mom gave it to me awhile ago. its not exactly working yet (i need to buy a battery) but i love the massive simplicity of it.
audrey hepburn in how to steal a million embodied parisian chic--especially in the hotel restaurant scene where she dons an all black and lace ensemble, topped off with a lace eye mask of sorts. fashionista.com was discussing the idea of sheer eye mask being used as an evening accent and it seems maison michel feels the same way because he incorporated them into his adorable lace bunny ears.
okay, so no idea where i'd wear these babies (and i'm no lady gaga or olsen twin--they were spotted sporting these lovelies at the opening ceremony party in tokyo today) but i want a pair really bad! halloween costume diy maybe? stay tuned...
jumper. really loving this sweater from sonia rykiel's fall 09 collection. simple (*see black and white), chic, and filled with humor. this is something i would pair with everything from jeans and over-the-knee boots to little skirts with black tights. however, as the sweater clearly states, this is probably out of my price range. le sigh.
it happens every fall... okay every fall since 2006: the search for the perfect ankle boot. last year i found perfection in a pair of nine west lace ups, the same pair that taylor momsen was stopping all over the gossip girl set in. i still love them and can't wait to tie them up in the coming months, but as most girls, i need an update.
in former years i've been steered towards suede, but its such a tricky fabric so i try and stick to mainly black leather these days-- especially for shoes i know i'm going to wear the crap out of.
so of course i have to find eternal bliss in a pair of proenza schouler's motorcycle booties with a whopping $995 price tag. suffice to say these aren't going to happen even though i'd sell organs to finance a pair. thus far i've been unimpressed with those in my realistic price range so here's hoping there's bigger and better on the way.
so i know by this point that the blazer with white tee routine as become a bit overplayed to some, but being in a place where i haven't been able to wear one for about 4 months now, i'm dying to drag it out of my closet. this may have to happen tomorrow... except replacing the black hipster underware with some cutoffs or boyish khaki shorts.
and for the first time i'm really loving the matte grey polish on her. time to hit up a beauty supply store...
was in the mood for something frilly and girly (girlie?) today. and i believe the pink bow dress in the fourth picture is the one that dita von teese twittered about a few weeks ago with a picture of her putting a lipstick into the zipper at the top of the bow.
and how much does the third picture remind you of that pink dress that sjp wore on the second to last episode of satc when she bitches big out on the street before leaving for paris? seriously.
kaya (aka effy on skins) in the new issue of LOVE magazine. she's amazingly gorgeous on the show (and i'm anxiously awaiting season 3's dvd release in the states... course its going to take bloodly forever) but i have to say that her beauty translates better to screen than print, or what i now refer to as leighton meester syndrome: beautiful onscreen (see gossip girl) and lackluster in print (see september bazaar). i can't explain it, but somehow one medium is entirely more complimentary than the other.
this is one of my all time favorite shots: the lacy lingerie and the grey-blue tux jacket with the crazy wild, wavy locks... amazing. i actually have this photo framed in my room because i love it so much so i was really happy when i accidently found it on tfs and was able to share it with you guys.
although small side note, the black shadow image reflected in the mirror mildly creeps me out.
i'm really not supposed to have coffee anymore but a lady just came into the store with starbucks and the smell is still haunting me... i may have to give up my coffee boycott soon, i don't know how much longer i'm going to last without my mochas.